Thursday, February 21, 2008

Play! Play! Play!

Last week, I met my friend, Michelle, at McDonald's so our kids could have fun in the play place together, and we could sit and talk and eat kiddie cones! :) It was so funny because Emily would climb to the top and then rather than sliding down the slide, she would climb back down and call, "Mommy, Mommy!" She didn't seem scared at all to be lost in this neon-colored maze, but it was obvious that we never go to to McDonald's, so the poor kid was just new at this. Zach was really sweet trying to show Emily how to find her way out.



Right after we left the restaurant, I dropped the kids off with my SWEET friend, Traci, so that I could go volunteer at Welfare Square and can my food storage. (My sister, Margaret, has been great to motivate me to increase the food storage for our family.) These are some fun pictures of Emily and Jon playing with Etta and her dog, Hatcher!
And here is my list for The Top 5 Reasons I love having Traci watch my kids:
#5 Hatcher! This is the only time my little girl feels like she has her own dog. Emily LOVES playing with Hatcher and Jon gets excited being around this beautiful big dog as well.
#4 It's Free! She and Andy watch our two kids and we watch their two kids. I love this deal, and it doesn't cost either of us any money. Great concept, right?
#3 Gibson. Traci's little guy is just younger than Jonathan, but it's so cool how they sit by each other and just chill, playing/eating the toys together. You know they're going to be best buddies someday.
#2 Etta. This little girl is the epitome of sweet. She and Emily have always got along so well and just have a ton of fun playing together.
And #1 Traci genuinely loves children and engages my kids in fun activities like playing instruments, singing, dancing, reading, playing dress-up and tea party, and jumping on the love sac ;)
Isn't it hilarious how toddlers ALWAYS seem to wear sunglasses upside down? They're so cute!


At Music Makers (a mom-taught music class) on Friday, we had a Valentine's Party for the kiddos. After singing some Valentines Songs, playing the instruments, and of course dancing around, the kids exchanged Valentines, ate some goodies, and then played! This is a fun group shot I took.



After the Valentine's party, just before nap time, we had story time with Zach, Emily, and Salote. Emily loves that I watch her friends a few days a week because it makes life WAY more fun for her! These three kids could read all day if you let them. They climb on the bed and start "reading" while I put Jon down for a nap, and then I join them and read to them for another fifteen minutes or until I feel they have calmed down enough for their naps!

Nap time is a joyful time in my house, and I know most of you would agree! ;) I read books, check email, update my blog, fold laundry or scrapbook while I watch American Idol recorded from the night before or my favorite chick flicks, like Anne of Green Gables. Does that sound a little bit like quiet time at YOUR house? I'm curious, what do you all do to relax while kids are napping or at school?

7 comments:

Karen said...

Ethan loves books too. And you know, I love that he loves books. His great grandparents sent money for Chirstmas, and we spent 3/4 on books! Of course we had to get him a toy too. I really love nap time. I am onry and grumpy when Ethan doesn't get a nap. When he is napping, I also, check my emails, look at my blog and my friends' and family's blogs, fold laundry, put it away, iron, put that away. But at 3:00, I take a break and watch re-runs of the Gilmore Girls on the Family Channel. I have all 7 seasons, but that is my relaxing time. If I've had a Dr Pepper at lunch, ther is usually some left and I grab that and some chocolate, kick my feet up and get ready for the whit of Lorelai and Rory! Love those girls!

Traciannee said...

I just love your post. And it makes me feel so good that you have favorite reasons I watch your kids. Emily and Jon are great children and I love watching them too.
When Etta gets sad or mad I always tell her we are going to see Emily on a particular day and that makes her happy and she then will help me.
Nap time is great. I clean my house and of course check my computer.
You are such a GREAT FRIEND!

Megan said...

I wish we had a fun McDonald's like that!
I do the same things when Whitney naps: internet, email, sometimes read, watch "A Baby Story"...naptime is one of my favorite times of the day. I do LOVE playing and spending time with Whitney, but I also need some "me" time during the day!

Carlos said...

Hehe, your poor deprived kids! Fun pictures, Catherine you have just the cutest little family! Every time I show Carlos your blog he is like "Her kids were so cute!"

Julie Kohler said...

yea for blogs!!! So fun that you have one now, your family is so cute! Spence and I are back in StGeorge now, I can't remember who knows that or not... But guess what??? I am Ruthanne's neighboor! How funny is that? Seriously, next door.
Too bad we didn't get to see you when you were here, maybe next time! Congrats on the 25 lbs!! you inspire me! How'd you do it? :)

Kristen said...

Enjoy the naps while you can--they don't last forever. Luckily Meg will chill out for a while after lunch. That is when I watch tv or blog or talk to people on the phone. I hardly ever clean or iron or anything like that during that time because I need a break!

Kelly said...

Hey- is that Wade I see on page 94 of my November 2007 edition of the Ensign (conference edition)? It looks just like him!