Here's where Deceptively Delicious comes into play. Jerry Seinfield's wife, Jessica, has put together this awesome cookbook where you add pureed fruits and vegetables to foods your family already likes. Our family's favorite recipe is the Banana Bread with pureed cauliflower. Sometimes I add butternut squash instead. Yum! And you can't even taste the vegetable. The best thing about it is that it simply gets you thinking, so that you can start adding pureed fruits and veggies to some of your favorite recipes. You don't even need to tell your husband and kids. Just see if they taste a difference. I took my sister's Spaghetti Pie recipe and tweaked it. So now I use whole wheat spaghetti noodles, pureed squash added to ground turkey and pasta sauce (the red pasta sauce covers up the orange color of the squash, so it appears normal). It's so tasty! I'll take a quick picture and share the recipe soon. Even though there's squash in the main meal, I still serve salad and cooked carrots on the side, so I make sure we get enough of what we need. But if Emily or Jon barely touch their carrots, I can feel confident knowing they got SOME vegetable from the meal.Several mornings a week, I prepare what I like to call "Fruit Smoothie Treats" for breakfast. Because the word "treats" is in the name, my kids are anxious to have one. I have always loved the taste of Fruit Smoothies, but I would often be hungry again two hours later, so I started adding protein mix (EAS brand from Costco) to the Smoothie, to keep me feeling satisfied all morning long. So here's my recipe...
Fruit Smoothie Treat
2 cups fresh or frozen fruit of any kind
1 cup spinach and/or carrot
1/2 cup milk
3 scoops vanilla protein mix
1/8 cup splenda or 1/4 cup sugar
10-15 ice cubes
If you are using frozen fruit, it helps to thaw it a little first. Blend the fruit, spinach/carrot, and milk together in a blender. Add protein mix and the sweetener. Blend well. Finally, add the ice cubes and blend until smooth. Makes 5-6 cups. Enjoy!
Was that easy or what?
9 comments:
Ok, here's the truth. There were times I couldn't taste anything. However, there were totally times I was like, "What the heck is in this?" "This does not taste right!" I always told Catherine to not let me know if she added stuff because I would sit there and try to taste something weird. I think it's worth a try though!
I have been wanting to get that book but I am not sure if I have what it takes to do the prep work that making all the pureed veggies would take. I do love to add pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices to our pancakes, so yummy!
Caralee, here's a tip to make it easy:
You can use baby food already pureed :) or use frozen veggies already cut up and you just have to steam them for a few minutes and puree them. Since some veggies, like beets are so messy to preapre and steam anyway, I just use canned beets and throw them into a meal.
Ok, here's my protein shake I'm been making since last october, It's delicious as well! Oh, and I just throw in the frozen berries as they are, makes it nice and cold.
1 serving:
1 cup milk
1/2 cup frozen berries
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 T ground flax seed (good omega 3)
sometimes I throw in some oatmeal for my grain/complex carb
Or for a variation, use 1 T peanut butter and half a banana instead of frozen berries... delicious!!
sounds like a great idea. I will have to try adding some pureed food to some of my meals . I love the squash I also add shredded carrots. If you can cook it all day you cant even see the vegitables theyt are jsut part of the sauce.
sounds like a great idea. I will have to try adding some pureed food to some of my meals . I love the squash I also add shredded carrots. If you can cook it all day you cant even see the vegitables theyt are jsut part of the sauce.
I am totally going to try this!!! I am so into veggie smoothies. Yum! :D
I make something similar every morning for me. Jake loves them, but Caleb is allergic to berries. I add Whey Gourmet for my protein powder. I am currently using Orange Creamsicle. Yum! I've never added the sugar though and Splenda gives me a stomach ache. I use fresh orange juice instead. Oh, I don't usually addice either. I'll have to try it with a carrot. I've only used spinach. Of course, Jeff won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
I love your blog! Thanks for the invite! :-) I am totaly going to try that fruit smoothie treat!
Post a Comment