Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Making Mischief

Last Thursday, I walked into the kid's bedroom to check on Emily and see if she had fallen asleep during quiet time. Nope...instead I found Jon's crib filled with about 100 books! Emily immediately exclaimed, "I did it by myself, mommy! It's for my treehouse." She then went on to explain how she had storytime in her "treehouse" and how Dora {the explorer} is in her class and reads books with her everyday. What an imagination on that girl, I tell you what!

I just don't know what to do with her. Emily used to sleep during quiet time, but now, she spends the entire time reading books and then "redecorating" the room by taking all the books off the shelves, all the clothes out of the dresser, all the blankets out of the closet, moving her bed and the rocking chair, and having just the time of her life doing it. Whenever I go to check on her, she always gives me the biggest grin expecting me to be SO proud of her work (which sometimes only takes her 5 minutes to make!) It's a tricky age because she seeks approval for her "hard work," which is difficult for me to do when I'm mystified by the mess. I have to stop and take a deep breath and compliment her on how creative she was building her fort or her treehouse, but then insist that SHE be the one to clean it up. I'm afraid my 3 1/2 year old may be done with naps, but I still feel it's important for her (and me) to have quiet time. What do I do???
A short half hour after I found Emily's mess, I walked into my bedroom, where Jon takes his naps in the pack-n-play, and I discovered he had climbed out of the pack-n-play, found the Christmas wrapping paper hidden under the bed, and had unwrapped ALL of it. It was everywhere! Oh, and he had found a leftover sucker to enjoy. When he saw I wasn't happy with him, he started crying.

And later that same day, I caught Jon climbing on the stools so he could reach the phone, probably wanting to call Grandma or Grandpa to rescue him from his mean mommy! ;)

16 comments:

The Lively's said...

That was too funny! Face it... I think Emily is done with naps!:)I guess either you let her have quiet time and destroy her room or forgo naps! I am really sorry! Naps are so nice! I'll be sad when Kyle's come to an end! Good Luck!

Heather said...

I just have to laugh...I'm sorry. But your kids are so dang adorable. Isn't amazing the mess kids can make in just a blink of an eye?

Anonymous said...

That last picture of Jonny kind of looks like Taylor at that age. Maybe you could put the majority of the books in the play room. Give her like 15 books during quiet time.

Stacie Lang said...

Get used to it! It comes with the age and it does not take quiet time to accomplish all this. Just a few minutes alone with the books. Katrina went through it, Amanda is starting to come out of it and Lizzy is heading there with her love of all books. It helps to have the books isolated from the toys because it makes for easier cleanup. Good luck!

AshnRuss said...

I can't imagine you being a mean mom. You are probably the most patient mom in the world. Your kids are lucky to have you. I know what you mean about the messes. I was cleaning the kitchen only to find out when I was done I was now going to have to clean the front room she had ripped out the dvds plus thrown out all her toys and books! Oh what fun!

Traciannee said...

Crazy, but I have experienced the little Reed kid's creative work. They can make a room look totally different in 5 minutes flat :)!
For the quite time/nap time idea. I went through similar when Etta wouldn't sleep and I remember Kathy saying she would lay down with Elyse. So What I have done is put Gibby in his bed (put Johnny in his crib) and then Etta and I would lie down on my bed (you and Emily lay in your room). Once she is asleep slowly get out and you have 1 hour to 1 1/2 of your own time. Be careful because sometimes I fall asleep and then you all wake up and you have slept through your quite time.

Cynthia said...

Hey, at least Jon wasn't in there underneath the pile of books... Like Elora has done to Max... :)

Darci said...

I hate those kinds of days! You just have to tell yourself THEY ARE ONLY LITTLE ONCE. That was the best advice my Mom gave to me :D

Emily said...

Well, on the upside, she's a Reed who loves to read! It is probably so frustrating that she won't take naps, especially because you have two kids and need some mommy time! Maybe she'd fall asleep to a movie? Good luck!

*Aliese* said...

I was going to offer the same advice Emily did. I have a couple of friends whose kids are near Emily's age and they have "Quiet Time" to a Disney Movie. One friend has a TV in her bedroom, so that's where her 4-year-old has quiet time. The rules are: She has to stay on the bed and can take three items with her (stuffed animal, book, toy, blanket, etc.). She also gets to pick her movie which makes it more appealing. Another friend does it with her son just in the living room (they only have the one TV). He just has to lay on the couch and watch his movie with his blanket. She says he falls asleep about 50% of the time. The other 50%, he's at least quiet and she can get things done. Anyway, maybe that's something you can use, however, I also know parents who don't want their kids spending so much time watching a movie every day...Catch 22 there, I guess!

Jocelyn Hobson said...

Your kids are so cute!! Andee needs to play with Emily one of these days. She reminds me so much of Andee right now!!

Dustin & Angie Drake said...

This is somewhat similar to some of the other suggestions, but I have a friend who would let her child pick out three items for quiet time. Then she would set a timer and tell her that she wasn't allowed off of her bed until the timer went off. Sometimes she would fall asleep and sometimes she wouldn't, but either way, Mom gets the uninterrupted time she needs. Good luck!

Lois said...

Gosh, Cath, I wish I could find a picture of you and Jocey making a big mess right now! Serves you right! jk. I used to have to put those gadgets on all of my kitchen cupboards so your brothers would not get into all of them at the same time. But, they did break up some eggs on my gorgeous living room carpet! Kids, you gotta love them! Cuz they grow up so darn fast.
Mom

Kathy said...

I hate it when nap time is over! But I agree that quiet time is a good thing. As for Jon...that was hilarious!

Kristal said...

Man, you should at least be grateful that she will have a quiet time. Regan wants to be with me every minute of the day it feels like (and with no naps). If she cleans up her mess then why not let her make the mess? Jon is so funny. I've had to hide my wrapping paper for that very reason.

Margaret said...

I gave up on quiet time a while ago. Hailey and I try to spend some of our own quiet time together while the boys are at school. Once she has gotten her Mommy time, she's always good to play on her own for a while. I have pictures I can show you of Taylor and Alex making messes together and believe me when they work as a team, it gets that much meesier. Good Luck!