Friday, February 20, 2009

Valentine's Weekend

Last Friday, while I was preparing some Valentine's songs to teach at our Mommy and Me Music Class, Jonathan climbed up on the couch and copied me by writing in his notebook, just like mommy. What cracked me up was how serious and contemplative he looked while writing. Where does he pick this stuff up anyway?
That night, Emily and Jon ate ramen noodles and carrots for dinner, while I was preparing a special Valentine's dinner for Wade. Such a nice mommy, huh? I saved the good stuff for us!
I made Chicken Cordon Bleu, mashed potatoes and gravy, green salad, and homemade rolls. It was delicious!
The next morning, Emily was walking around with a blanket draped around her hair like this saying, "I'm Mary. And I love Joseph. I'm going to marry him." She adores the Christmas story, can you tell?
Shortly after that, Jonny got in a fight with the bed frame, and the bed frame won. His front teeth cut through, but once we got the bleeding to stop, we called Dr. Jared Allen in St. Louis (Kathy's husband and our favorite doctor). We were hoping he could give us advice, so we could avoid the E.R. or even Insta-Care. Well, we called the right guy because after some peroxide and super glue, Jonny was as good as new. Thanks again Jared!
That afternoon, we went shopping and the kids discovered how fun it is to play in between the racks of clothes. It was driving me crazy because they were REALLY good at hiding and being quiet in their hiding spot (I wish they were that quiet at CHURCH!) It was frustrating, but then I stopped and realized that they're only kids once, and I may as well snap a picture of them having this much fun, so they can look back at it later.

After we dropped our kids off with Margaret in West Jordan for the evening, we attended the temple with Wade's family and then went to the adult session of our Stake Conference. Since my parents were coming in town that night and wanted to stop and see Jason and Margaret before heading to our house, they volunteered to bring Emily and Jon back to our house to save us time. Since they weren't home with our kids yet, Wade and I spontaneously decided to grab the Breakfast Special at Denny's at 9pm. It was such a blast-just Wade and I being goofy and enjoying some tasty food! Whenever I go to Denny's, I can't help but think of Becky. She'll know why. ;) And I have such fun memories of the cast parties at Denny's after the high school musical each year with Sarah, Karolee, Katie, and Cynthia. Those poor waitresses had to put up with a lot of loud teenagers with their cheese fries and chocolate shakes!
Monday on President's Day, we had a nice visit with Wade's dad and step-mom in Tooele before driving out to the Clover Creek General Store. It's this amazing store and restaurant that Wade's aunt owns, just outside of Rush Valley. We love this place! It's like a get-away from the world, where you can stop for a home-cooked meal and then eat an ice-cream cone out on the front porch and just relax.
Here's Emily hanging out with her Grandpa Reed, waiting for lunch to arrive.
They even sell penny candy there, just like when we were kids. Emily brought her money that she had earned from doing chores at home, and she was so excited to buy the penny candy. :)
When we returned home, I went grocery shopping while Wade and the kids watched Cinderella. Wade was really into the movie, and I decided that the world needs more dads who watch princess movies...by choice! lol
Tuesday, Margaret came over to scrapbook with me, and as always I enjoyed hanging out with my sister. She's just great!
However, these two cooky girls may have had even more fun that day! Here's Hailey and Emily eating my home-made fruit popsicles. I just pour some of our morning fruit smoothie into the popsicle tray and throw it into the freezer for a perfect afternoon snack! Margaret thinks it's weird to have spinach in a popsicle, but it tastes great and the kids love it, so I keep making them. :)

8 comments:

Kristal said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I can't believe Jon's teeth cut through his mouth!! How is he doing? I had lost my phone for a day and finally found it and saw that you had a called. Sorry I didn't get back to you. I'll call you tomorrow. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures. I guess I need to bust my camera out and actually take pictures for my blog.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Does Margaret know you put a picture of her on your blog?

Traciannee said...

Looks like a great fun filled weekend you had. Man, Johnathon and him mouth,poor little guy. Oh and I love penny candy, great job Emily for saving up!

*Aliese* said...

Sisters ARE great! I wish I lived closer to mine. Your Valentine's Dinner for Wade looks super yummy; it kind of makes me wanna eat some right now.

Unknown said...

I've got to hear about this peroxide and superglue trick...sounds like it could come in handy...poor johny.

Trav and Britt said...

first i have to tell you that aiden is sitting here by me and just said "what are those kids' names? how can i play with them?" how funny! so, looks like we better get together and let them play :) hope little jonathon is doing better :) how did wade's interview go?

Kathy said...

SOunds like a ton of fun. Did you make the chicken cordon bleu from scratch? If so, what's your recipe?
It's my kids' favorite and they stopped selling it at the costco here...guess I have to be a good mom and make it from scratch. :)