Friday, March 6, 2009

I was a kid once, too

Thanks everybody for your advice about what to do with Emily during quiet time. After seeing my mom's comment about the messes Jocey Anderson and I used to make, I opened up my scrapbook and actually found some cute ones. It helped me realize that I was a kid once, too, and that life is too short to get upset over the little things.
Jocey lived next door and was my best friend growing up. We had a lot of crazy adventures together. This particular day, we turned this cardboard box into a car and pushed each other around the house for hours!
And here Suzie Fatheringham and I are sneaking into the frosting. Like my mom said, I guess it serves me right that Emily and Jonathan make their fair share of messes. I was the same way. :)
So this afternoon, when I found this surprise waiting for me after quiet time, I just laughed. Emily must have had a blast making a playgym out of her bedroom furniture. She told me, "My bed is a slide now, mommy. And it's fun."
And that's exactly what childhood should be...fun.
So no more mean mommy. I'm just going to chill and let it be.

17 comments:

The Colvins said...

you were a cute little girl--i can see that emily looks like you! i think our parents just laugh when we tell them all the crazy and annoying stuff our kids do to us--because we once did it to them--thankfully they are still sympathetic though :)

Cute dino cake--you did a nice job!

Katie Leigh said...

I don't often see a lot of likeness between you and Ruthanne, but I totally see it in the frosting picture.

Your cardboard box reminded me of when Lizzie and I were little. We would sit in laundry baskets for hours with pillows and blankets and read and watch TV. Lizzie also liked to sit in the laundry hamper and pretend she was Oscar the Grouch. But I think we were too scared of my mom to make any messes.

Unknown said...

Chill - That is hard to do sometimes... but so important. You are so awesome to watch my girls spur of the moment last night! Thank you so much!

The Lively's said...

You have been quite busy with the blogging. Fun Pictures! I have an easy way to make your no bake cookies healthy and you would never know...so next time you make them call me and I will let you know how!

*Aliese* said...

Aw, I love it! Way to be a nice mommy now.

Margaret said...

You are Jocey were so cute. Kirsten and I were cuter though. lol That's the Catherine I remember. Sorry, I'll always think of you looking like this but I think you are really cute.

Rach said...

Love those pics!

Cynthia said...

Emily looks just like you!

Lois said...

Too cute...oh, the memories...however, I wasn't ALWAYS happy about the messes!
Love,
Mom

Kathy said...

Cannot believe how much Emily looks like you! It's uncanny. Cute pics from the past.

Brandi said...

Hey there SUNSHINE!
I love your black and green background! How fun to see pics from when you were sooo little! I love the dino cake- what little boy wouldn't want that??

Kristen said...

Catherine, I love those old pics. So fun to see.

matt and brynnzie said...

It was fun to see pictures of you when you were little. I love Emily's creativity in the last picture. What ever she was pretending, I want to be a part of it.

Carlos said...

Cute pics!!! I love how moms can always put things in perspective!!!

Jocelyn Hobson said...

That is so fun to see those pictures. I'm going through the same thing with my destructo Andee!! Are mom's were the best for letting us make messes when we were little and just have fun!! I think they learned how to be REALLY good mom's by the time they got to us #5's. Thanks for the blog!!

Sarah said...

I always ask, "what's it gonna hurt?" and let them enjoy the day. But then, before dad comes home, we pick up. But you have to make that creative and fun. Beat the timer on the oven/micro is one my kids love. Then they get a a sticker/treat if they beat it and get everything done. Parenting doesn't have to be mean or hard. We can enjoy it too. Yes, we enjoyed being kids and we want ours to also, but I want my kids to see me enjoying motherhood! They can see they were good kids and we did a lot together.

kallen said...

You look like a cute little cabbage patch kid. I never knew your hair used to be brown. How fun.