Saturday, September 19, 2009

Goodbye to summer

I was thinking about our summer and how it played out differently than I had originally thought it would. We never made it to Murray Pool, Discovery Gateway, the Bees baseball games, concerts downtown, and so many other fun things that makes Salt Lake unique. Our day at Lagoon and the Real Salt Lake Soccer game (both without our kids) may have been the only thing we spent money on (and even then we had big discounts thanks to Wade's work). We needed to be frugal so we could finish our front yard (which we did. Wahoo!) And I even decided last minute to hold a summer camp for 2 months to help us make money.

But I am AMAZED at what a blast we had just doing the simple things that were either free or cost very little, such as camping, hiking, biking, tubing down the canal, playdates at the park, swimming and running through the sprinklers in our backyard, playing hopscotch, building forts, sidewalk chalk drawings galore, watching the orginal Parent Trip movie again and again, blowing bubbles, eating ice-cream cones, making playdoe masterpeices, and of course playing with cousins. What a summer to remember! And I know that I WILL remember it because for the first time, I learned to really let things go and just live in the moment. Maybe it was the fact that I spent so much time with preschoolers this summer, particulary my own, but they taught me to just PLAY.

I thrive on order. So usually, my house is clean and organized, but not the last few months. It's been a wreck, but I've had some of the best tea parties ever with my kids, so I just didn't care what my house looked like. I have had less mommy guilt because I've been playing with them more and scolding them less for making messes, and it feels great! Don't get me wrong, I'll start cleaning again...sometime. But in the meantime, I'll share with you a few last pictures of our summertime fun.
After teaching summer camp in the morning, I often met up with my cousin, Marne, and my friends, Darcy and Kristal, at Sunnyside Park. A few times, they came over to my house for some water fun in my backyard. Here's Emily, Gwyn, and Salote.
It was hilarious when Marne's daughter, Melanie, got stuck when she tried going down the slide into the pool.
Here's Emily with Marne's twins, Sophie and Emma.
Ironically Darcy also has twins. Here she is with Tuimana. What a cutie! The next few pictures are when we joined Traci and Brynn at the Davis County Fair. Brynn's twins also make me smile, and after spending so much time with all these adorable sets of twins this summer, I'm starting to think maybe I want twins....maybe.
Jonny milking a cow at the fair
Emily taking a turn at milking
Emily and Sammie riding in the little cars
Emily chose a pink and purple sword balloon
Jonny chose a brown elephant and contrary to what his face in this picture suggests, he was actually thrilled to have it. lol
Sammie, Etta, and Emily giggling at the silly noises they were making with their whistles
the best experience of Jon's life: riding a horsie :)
Emily enjoyed it, too, but just not the same way her little brother did.
Emily dipping her head in the water to make what she calls "crazy hair" during another swimming playdate in our backyard
Every summer, it seems we have to say goodbye to more great friends. The Lake family has been really special to us. Elaine is an amazing person, and I look up to her so much. We met in our Gospel Parenting institute class when Audrey and Emily were barely 1 years old, did Joy School and the Mommy and Me Music Class together for 2 years, traded babysitting, and had some memorable playdates. We'll miss you guys!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We miss you guys too! The fair looks so fun! Oh how I love the fall

cerrah said...

It's hard to let things go and just play with the little ones sometimes. I need to be better at this. Sara (Gabrielsen) Ward said it best on her blog once, that she's noticed that if she's irritated with her kids it's usually because she's considering something else more important then them at that moment. That's really stuck with me, and I've realized how true it is. Thanks for your post about enjoying the simple things.