Sarah Lois Reed has joined our family, and we can't stop smiling! She was born on September 9, 2010 at 5:19pm, weighed 5 lbs, 15 oz and measured 18 1/2 in long. She's a tiny, beautiful, and calm baby, and we just adore her. Last Wednesday, when I went in for my 39 week check-up, she was measuring quite small, as if I were only 33 weeks where the previous week, she was right on track. My doctor was concerned and didn't know if she had just dropped and was curled up real tight, if she was losing weight, or if there was insufficient amniotic fluid. So he ordered an ultrasound ASAP. When Wade and I went in 8:30am on Thursday morning, the ultrasound doctor thought it might be best to induce me that day and called Dr. Stowers, my OB, to get his opinion. I originally didn't want to be induced since I had been practicing with Hypnobirthing for months and planned on a natural birth. Dr. Stowers said even if he gave me pitocin to get me started, he would be happy to support me in going unmedicated the rest of the way. So Wade and I decided to do it. I mean this could be our baby's birthday. We were really excited!
I checked into Labor and Delivery at 9:30am, and then they spent the next 2 hours trying to regulate my blood pressure, which had sky rocketed out of no where. It was high enough that the doctor would have wanted to induce me that day anyway. Once my blood pressure went down at 11:30am, the nurse started me on pitocin.
At 1:30pm, Dr. Stowers broke my water. And that's when my contractions started getting more and more intense. Wade and my good friend, Christine, who acted as my doula, helped me relax and breath through my contractions. It felt amazing to overcome each one. I didn't feel pain until transition because I somehow lost my focus and relaxation. I wanted to give up for those 15 minutes, but my nurse, Brittany, assured me I was in transition and that it was now time to push. What a relief! I pushed for about 10 minutes and she came posterior at 5:19pm. What a beautiful experience to feel my baby as she emerged from my body!
Words cannot describe my joy, and I know Wade feels the same way. I was able to have skin to skin contact immediately with Sarah after she was born. That was really special. She even latched on to breastfeed for several minutes. We cuddled skin to skin for about 45 minutes before the nurse took her to be weighed. 
My team with little Sarah
Thank you so much Christine and Wade for your incredible support! 
24 comments:
We're so happy little Sarah is here. Jonny adores his baby sister. Emily is pleased, too. Congratulations! We love you!
Mom
She's absolutely adorable! Congratulations!!!
P.S. I'm jealous of your birthing experience. I've had 3 c-sections because my body doesn't dilate. With Kate, I went 14 hours natural and finally had an epidural because they thought it would help me progress. It didn't and after 28 hours of labor I finally had a c-section. So congratulations and GOOD JOB!
She's beautiful. Congrats on going natural that's a big accomplishment. I could NEVER do it! :)
Wonderful end to a tough road! She is perfect and you did so great! I am amazed at anyone who can do the natural childbirthing and you did it so well. Congrats and enjoy that new baby girl. I LOVE a newborn...the smell, oh the heavenly smell; the way they melt into your body and just knowing they are straight from Heaven. Lots of adjusting for sure, but the benefits sure outweigh the sleepless nights. ENJOY!!
I gave birth to both of my girls naturally. I had a water birth when I had Daphnee and I loved it. I am planning on doing it again with this baby. I love my midwife so much she is so wonderful. I am glad that you had a good experience! You are wonderwoman!
You're an amazing person!! Way to go!! She's beautiful!! How fun Emily and Johnny too!! They look so proud!
Jocey
How amazing! You are such a strong woman! Congratulations! Your family is just adorable!!!!
Thank you for sharing those pics and that special day! I loved seeing them and reading about them. Wow! She is so beautiful!!! :)
Love to you all,
Stephanie
Congratulations!! Way to go with the natural childbirth! How fun to have a new baby at your house. How nice that she is calm. What a cutie!!
Sarah is so BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the pictures of Emily and Jon holding her. You can tell they adore her. I'm excited I get to watch her a few hours a week!
YAY! She looks so teeny tiny laying in Wade's lap. :) I love how cute the kiddos are with her. What a lucky little girl to have such great older siblings!
Hey, nice photos! Who was your awesome photographer?? :) And natural childbirth with hypnosis is THE way to go! Good job! I can't wait til I get to do it again! (Hopefully!) How's breastfeeding going? Call me if you need anything!
Way to go for going natural. You are the stuff!! I bet it was neat to feel her, and not feel like your legs were going to fall off the bed. She is beautiful. We are very happy for your new family of 5!
I am glad she is here and all is well butI am sorry Catherine. After having one completely natural and only having some medication to "dull" the pain for the other five I don't understand why anyone would want to have pain when they don't have to. I am glad it was a good experience for you. It wasn't for me.
GG
Congratulations! Welcome baby Sarah!!
She's absolutely beautiful!
Congratulations Catherine! She is precious, and I'm glad you had such a positive experience with the pitocin, and that you were able to go natural with pitocin! Glad she got here safe and sound, can't wait to meet her someday.
She is so beautiful! Congratulations!
Congratulations! She is so cute and little. I'm glad you and her are both happy and well.
She's so beautiful! I can't even tell you how special it was for me to be there! I'm so glad you were able to actually experience your baby's birth. I'm so proud of you - you're amazing! Thank you for letting me be a part of that incredible day!
Congrats! She is beautiful!
You are stunning! Seriously I just love you and think the world of you and your family. COngrats on making another beautiful babe!
You look really good in these pictures, that's a plug for natural child-birthing right there!
If I get to do it again I want to try the hypnosis, it sounds wonderful.
Congratulations, I'm so glad everything went well. She is a beautiful princess, and what a wonderful family of 5.
That is truely a precious daughter. You make a beautiful family. We love You. Dad and Claudia Reed
She is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story. wish I was there to hold her so give her a big kiss for me k
Post a Comment