Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring Break

My sister-in-law, Diana, was planning a trip to Las Vegas to visit some friends. She asked me if I wanted to carpool together and have her drop me off in St. George for the week, on her way to Vegas. We thought it was a great idea and the perfect time to go since it was spring break at the U, and I didn't have my institute class and Emily didn't have preschool. So we went and had a fantastic time!

Because we left on St. Patrick's Day, I dressed the kids in green and gave them each a green fruit popsicle to eat while I finished up packing. (Really, I just needed to keep them entertained so I could actually get stuff done!) The car ride down was awesome, talking with Diana, and listening to some killer tunes. Diana's 2 year-old daughter, Ramsi, is so cute. She literally prefers to rock out as opposed to listening to those nursery rhyme type cd's. Her dance moves were cracking me up!
Here's Jonny happily greeting Beau, my parent's dog, after 3 long months of not seeing him. The girls chillin' at Cafe Rio: Kelly C, Kristal, Amber, Kelly N, and me. We had so much fun catching up with one another. I thought for sure they were going to have to kick us out after 2 hours, but we finally left, and then walked across the parking lot so we could continue talking at Nielsen's Frozen Custard. It was a great night.
After shopping with my mom on Wednesday, we spontaneously decided to stop by a golf course pond to watch the ducks and the geese. Then we had a nice visit with the Sonju's. Gosh, I love those little girls!
Because I didn't have a car, the kids and I mostly hung out at home with my parents and grandparents, who live next door. But Sarah was sweet enough to come visit me, and it was so good to see her! Here's Frankie and Jon giving a good-bye hug when it was time for them to go.
That night, the kids and I played at the water park, while we waited for my mom to finish up practicing with the Heritage Choir at the Tabernacle. It was too cold to play in the water, but Jon and Emily had fun running around and watching the kids who WERE crazy enough to get wet.
We celebrated Jon's 2nd birthday on Friday night with my parents and grandparents. Dinner was delicious....
...and so were the cake and ice-cream, of course!
My parents gave Jonny a wooden train set (thanks for the tip, Kelly). He was in love with it! He knew right away how to put the pieces together and for over an HOUR, he pushed the train around the tracks saying, "Chuga, chuga, choo, choo." It was the cutetst thing ever! And I was AMAZED that it held his attention so long.
Playing trains must have worn him out, though, because once "papa" had him on his lap and started reading a story, Jonny was nearly asleep. :)
It was a nice, relaxing trip, but we missed Wade so much that we decided next time we go, he'll have to come with us.

12 comments:

*Aliese* said...

So fun! In the one photo, Emily's hair looks like you bobbed it! Is that true? If so, you should definitely think about it...SO CUTE! ;) I love that Jon was completely entertained by a toy train. Isn't it great when kids don't require all the extra "bells and whistles" of technology to be entertained? Oh, and your Cafe Rio picture is making my mouth water without even seeing FOOD...Apparently it's almost lunch time...

Heather said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! And Happy Birthday to Jon!

Cynthia said...

Hmmm, maybe we should get a train like that for Max's birthday... He would probably love it! I'm glad that you had such a good time in St. George. I can't wait to move down, and be warm!

Julie Kohler said...

Oh Catherine! I'm so sad I missed you, it's all my fault! We've been pretty sick at my house, and the thought of returning most phone calls remained just that, a thought. I promise we weren't avoiding you, just surviving a day. I've been pretty underground lately. However, we are coming up the 1st of May for Spence's graduation, hopefully we can get together for a bit! Love ya girl!

Kelly said...

We probably would've stayed at Nielson's a lot longer had my baby not needed me :) Ironically enough - Casey called when I was halfway home and she had fallen asleep. Bummer - but I guess it kept us from staying up TOO late :)

AmberS said...

I'm SOOOO SOOOO glad we were able to go and have a fabulous time together. Let's definitively do it AGAIN!

Brandi said...

I am so sad I missed you, Sunshine! Next time though! Okay, I am totally jealous of you, look at that- FLAT tummy! I need the secret to how to get that back again:) I just got a new shipment of tote bags, so tell your mom I am ready to meet up with her:)

Carlos said...

Fun times! Yeah, Orden and I are down here enjoying the sunshine now! Who wants to go back up north after that?

cerrah said...

I'm glad you had a good little break. And it was so much fun to see you.

It was so sweet that Jonny was missing his Dad so much. I think you're right, next time you'll have to bring him along.

---- said...

Looks like fun!! Thanks for the phone call!!! j/k I know it is hard to get to see everybody when you go back and visit a place you used to live!
BTW- do you guys have renters after school gets out? I have a friend who's husband got a job at the NICU at Primary Childrens. They are looking for a place to rent for a while and I told her I would ask you what you had going on...I think they are moving up there in June.

Recovery Guru said...

Fun times! We spent our spring break sick so I am glad that someone out there had fun! Happy Birthday to little Jonathan they grow up to dang fast!

The Lively's said...

Catherine you can delete this when your done! It looks like you had so much fun! Anyhoo when you get a chance can you make KYle into a bunny since it still isn't working for me? thanks a ton.