Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Got apples?

My cousin, Carolynn, called me and invited me to can applesauce with her because her apple tree had so many apples this year, she just had to share the wealth. I was happy to oblige. :)
Emily helped me core and peel the apples.
Then she wanted to show her cool apple peel creation to Jon.
I canned sliced apples I can use to make apple pies later. And Carolynn showed me how to flavor the applesauce with just a pinch of kool aid to make cherry, peach and even tropical punch applesauce. They taste really good, and I'm just excited I was able to can for Free Ninety Free, my favorite way to do everything!

15 comments:

Cynthia said...

Free Ninety Free?

Catherine said...

You know, as in $3.93, but it was free, so you say free, ninety free. Haven't you ever head of that before? :)

The Colvins said...

Good Job Catherine!!

*Aliese* said...

This just reminds me that I need to go BUY apples so I can make pies for Thanksgiving.

Kristal said...

I love canning apples (or anything)! It is so satisfying and self gratifying. Looks yummy! Next time I do applesause I'll have to try the kool aid trick.

Kathy said...

It is a lot of work to can applesauce! It took me the better part of a day...but I loved looking at my delicious applesauce sitting on my counter! And, yes, it is much better when it is free...I decided it is not cost effective to can applesauce when you have to buy the apples (which I did), but it tastes SOOOO much better than the cheap Motts at the store, so I guess it is worth it. Nice work.

Kristen said...

How great!

The Mursets said...

Oh I LOVE homemade bottles apples!

Brandi said...

Your family is so cute! I love being able to see all of the fun things you guys have going on! I can't believe you have the energy to can applesauce and run a 5K race after having your hands full with preschoolers all week! :)

April Nielsen said...

I have my box of apples in my garage awaiting the same fate. Also. I saw your post about swiss days. I am in charge of the entire parade next year so maybe you and your family can talk and get an awesome float together eh?

Kelly said...

I have not seen you blog for a little while. You've posted a lot! I LOVE seeing those apples in the jars. They look so pretty. Great job! Canning is hard work. Happy Birthday Emily! Looks like she had a great party. I'm glad you guys had a fun anniversary. Happy 6 years!

Trav and Britt said...

that's awesome! what a good way to stock up the pantry! it was fun to catch up on all your blogs, i wish my blogger let me know when my private ones updated! i had a lot to catch up on! looks like you guys are doing great and having fun! just like you should be :)

Carlos said...

Your apples look yummy...I was looking at Emily's creation and had the random thought that it would be cool to can twisty apply slices haha! Her birthday party looked fun...you are so creative!!!

Lyndy Butler said...

YAY!! Im so glad you are in! and preschool does put on the pounds.dangit! but we'll take em back off. lickity-split!

Traciannee said...

Looks delicious, just checking in seeing what you have been up to. where are the rest? I haven't see you forever and this was the only way to see how your cute family is doing get crack-in'. Hope you have had a great holiday season so far, call if you have free time from preschool!
Traci