Saturday, December 26, 2009

Thanksgiving in St. George

I love my job for many reasons, one of which is that I can set my own schedule for the school year. So I decided I won't hold class AT ALL the week of Thankgiving so we could spend more time in St. George with my family (9 whole days). Every one of my siblings and their families were there, and it was such a blast! :)Monday night, we had family home evening with my parents and Steve's family. Here's Emily, Katrina, Allison, and Amanda playing the opening song. Steve even taught us the actions to some primary songs. (yeah, he and I are A LOT alike)
Then after the lesson, we all enjoyed Wade's famous no-bake cookies.
On Thanksgiving day, we decided we had to get a picture of Whitney and Alex saying, "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth!" hehe
Wade and Austin hanging out
Ruthanne, Margaret, and my mom working hard in the kitchen
I promise I was helping, too. I just took a quick break to snap some pictures, hence the reason I'm rarely in the pictures on our blog. You know how it goes! ;)
Lizzie and the beautiful Thankgiving spread set up behind her Steve and Jason
Ruthanne, Austin, and my dad watching Wade play "airplane" with Jonny
Funny story about the clown outfit Jonny's wearing...My mom bought it at DI as an extra just in case any grandkids have accidents at her house. It's the cheesiest outfit, and when Emily was playing dress-up with her cousins, Jonny found this outfit in the closet and brought it upstairs so we could put it on him.
Nick and Ruthanne talking while Preston is just chillin'
All week, Jonny wanted to climb a tree, just like the big boys. Wade finally gave in and helped him get up in the tree so he coudl feel "so big" for a 1/2 hour or so. It was the highlight of the week for my 2 year old!
After giving thanks for all of our many blessings, we helped Grandma get ready for Christmas. :)
It really was an incredible week being with the Lang family, and it was one I will never forget because it was then that I heard my friend, John Jones, died after being trapped in the Nutty Putty Cave. Our families go way back since our moms became friends at BYU nursing school. They worked together for years as home health nurses, and we had dinner and family home evening with their family a few times.
We all went to the same schools, and I had the biggest crush on John in middle school. I think he means so much to me still to this day because of the way he treated me, during my most challenging years, when I had such a low self-esteem, feeling ugly, chubby, awkward, and different. He was just the type of guy EVERYONE respected and admired because of his kind nature.
His older sister, Cherie', has been one of my dearest friends since the college married ward when we served in the Relief Society Presidency together. And the hardest part of the weekend was trying to decide whether to leave my family and drive back up north early so I could be there for her at the funeral. I asked Carolynn and Summer for advice, since they have both lost a family member, and they said that she may need me more later on after things have quieted down. So I went to spend the day with her two weeks later. I think we both needed that visit. We had a really good talk and shared testimony of how we know we WILL see John again. She's amazing to me how she's clinging to her Savior and her testimony of Him at this time. I love you Cherie'!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Fun to catch up on your life. Sorry to hear about your friend's untimely death.
Looks like you are doing well. Hope it was a great Christmas!!

---- said...

Sure, I read this lighthearted fun family post and get to the end and you make me CRY!!! You are so amazing. The fact that I can feel your testimony in a few short sentences is one of the many things that I admire about you!!

BTW- Are you down in St. George this week? I have your Christmas card. I hand delivered most of them this year...Yeah...I'm Cheap I know!

Unknown said...

There is nothing better than when everyone gets together!

Cynthia said...

Geesh! So many blog posts, but that's awesome! Looks like you're just as behind as I am... But when I get home, I will update you on my Thanksgiving with family in St. George, and my holidays out here in Virginia... I already blogged about the adventure it was just to get out here... But I'll call you sometime after I get back...

Recovery Guru said...

Catherine you are back!!! I looks like you have been up to a lot of fun stuff!

The Lively's said...

So fun! Isn't it great going home and being with family?!? Glad you got to see your family! Your family pictures are cute, and if I do say so myself you are so skinny! You look great!

Emily said...

I was excited to read in your Christmas card e-mail that Wade has a new job! I hope he is enjoying it. I'm glad you could spend so much time with your family, especially because it seems like you don't get to come down too often. We were in Payson when John Jones died in Nutty Putty. We couldn't believe it. It is so tragic and I think of his wife and family often and pray for them. I'm glad you can be there for his sister.

kate said...

hello hello!
thank you for inviting me to read your lovely blog.

it's been SO long since i've seen. it's good to catch up on what you've been doing via blogging.

your kids are gorgeous. what a fun time in life for you!

xoxo kate!

Unknown said...

Hey friend - How fun to spend so much time with your family! Thanks for the nice Christmas card!