Thursday, March 4, 2010

Mothers Who Know

One of the trade offs of being busier this year is that I haven't baked as much (or cooked as much for that matter...cereal for dinner anyone?) But when I saw Brittany's recipe for The Best Cookies on Earth, I knew I HAD to give them a try, especially since I love rolos so much, and there is a rolo in the middle of every cookie. Oh.my.word. They are good and super easy to make.
1 box chocolate cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 bag rolos
small bowl of white sugar

Mix cake mix, eggs, and oil. Take a small spoonful of batter and wrap completely around a rolo. Repeat until batter is gone. They will be very small, just big enough to totally cover the rolo. Then roll each ball in the sugar. Bake on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 9 minutes.
A week later, I made homemade bread and strawberry freezer jam. The week after that, I made lasagna for dinner and apple pie for dessert. I think I just got the January blues and started baking to help cheer me up. Does anyone else get that way in January?

In the background of this picture is my new "Mothers Who Know" plaque. A few months ago, Cjane reminded me of this powerful talk by Julie B. Beck. I read it and then printed it so I could read it daily. It was/is such a pick me up! Then I asked Stacie Talbot to make this plaque for me of the outline of Sister Beck's talk so that every time I walk into my kitchen, I could see it and be reminded of my goals as a mother. I know it's hard to see in the picture. It says:

Mothers Who Know
Bear Children
Honor Sacred Ordinances & Covenants
Are Nurtures
Are Leaders
Are Teachers
Do Less
Stand Strong & Immovable

4 comments:

Traciannee said...

I just might have to try those, they look delicious. It was fun chatting and catching up yesterday. Thanks for the fun time!

The Colvins said...

Yum, yum. I couldn't read the quote though...tell me what it says.

Cherie Dick said...

you've been busy cooking and posting! Cute pics. You have had fun holidays and trips. What a good idea to have the quote you like put on a plaque!

The Mursets said...

That is a nice plaque, I love it!