Monday, July 14, 2008

"Camping" with friends

The last weekend in June, we decided to go "camping" with our friends, Ben and Kelly Clegg and Aaron and Britni Lively. After church, we headed up the mountain, had an amazing dutch oven dinner, roasted marshmallows, ate s'mores, and then went back home to our comfy beds. That's right, the best parts of camping, but without having to sleep over with kids. Why we never thought of this before, I don't know, but we will for sure make it a tradition!
Here's Britni and Aaron holding little Kyle, Catherine holding Jon, Emily, and Wade. Check out Wade's awesome boy scout fire!

Ben, Ryan, and Kelly holding Ethan. Ben was the talent behind the dutch oven cooking. He did a great job!

I can never eat a smore without thinking of the movie, Sandlot, during their campout in the treehouse

chubby red-headed kid: Hey, you want a s'more?

Smalls: some more what?

chubby kid: No, no you want a s'more?

Smalls: I haven't had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing?

chubby kid: you're killing me, Smalls!

(You may have heard me quote that last line because I do...a lot)

me: What the? Emily, why do you have dirt all over your face?

Em: I play in the dirt and make a cake for you.

me: Wade! Go get the camera! :) We could not stop him, I swear. Jon was so filthy...and happy I might add, that we just shook our heads and laughed...
... and the laughing continues!

13 comments:

Kathy said...

You've been busy! Fun updates and pictures. Loving the "you're killing me, Smalls!" I never knew you were a fellow sand-lot movie lover. It's one of my family's all time favorites!
Happy summer fun.

Nicole Jones said...

Day camping is a lot of fun, I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. No one more than Jon it looks like! Hehe, I have to laugh a little more than most people because I was a dirt eater as a baby too! My parents have a few priceless pictures of me kneeling down slurping up a mudd puddle. That's when you wonder a little bit why they had the camera out instead of running over to stop me, lol, but I'm positive I would have done the same thing! Cute pictures of all of you!

Katie Leigh said...

I was thinking about your black book the other day, in fact. I would love to see a couple of scanned pages. They would fit in with my shoe box of folded paper!

Megan said...

Now that's my idea of camping! You did all the fun things that camping has to offer and then went home to sleep in your nice, warm bed. It's genius!! The kids looked like they had lots of fun too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love those pics of Johnny and Emmy lookin' all messy! They're so cute! I sure miss them. Tell them I say HI!

Kelly said...

Holy Moly you've been busy. I love the family picture at the Beez game. I love the "camping" pictures too. I could not believe how messy your kids got! :-) They had a lot of fun. I'm glad we were smart and just went up for the day. I'm lovin' your posts! Which book are you on?

Cynthia said...

Yeah, and that's how the Gough's big black dog got his name..."You're killing me smalls!" Love the dirt pictures, yeah, Elora and Max got pretty dirty when we were camping too. I din't get a picture, but one time Elora had been playing in the dirt and had dirt smudges all over her face, and her hair was all messed up and she came over to me with this forlorn look. She looked so much like a little orphan girl...

Traciannee said...

Darling camping pictures. You just gotta love how dirty kids can get. We need to do a camping trip the kids would love it and so would we.

Recovery Guru said...

Cute pictures and I totally agree about the sleeping at home part what a fun tradition to start!

Kristal said...

Hahahaha...looks like my girls faces when we went camping. They sure have fun playing in the dirt.

Emily said...

Oh my gosh! You weren't kidding when you said your kids got dirty while camping! So funny! They are still adorable covered in dirt!

Darci said...

This is the best camping idea ever :D Your kids are such cuties, even covered in dirt!