Being the Primary Music Leader is my all-time favorite church calling and has been for the last 3 1/2 years. However, it does take a lot of time and energy and because I'm also serving as the Ward Choir Director, I feel spent. Every year, I work so hard with the children to prepare for the annual Primary Program and the second I'm done with that, I'm busy planning a Christmas Sacrament Meeting Program for the choir along with other musical numbers we can perform throughout December. I feel so much joy serving and helping bring inspirational music to our ward family. But honestly, it is quite exhausting, along with having to wrestle my kids (mostly Jon) during church.
So 2 months ago, I went into the Bishop's office and let him know my honest feelings. I didn't ask for a release. I just let him know I feel worn out trying to do it all. Because we combined wards back in June, I knew there were now others who could serve as Ward Choir Director, and I could spend more time with my family and my other calling as Primary Music Leader. He said that he had already talked with the members of the Bishopric, and they all thought I deserved a break. I was relieved to hear that. But the weeks went by, and I never heard anything, so I continued to prepare the choir for special upcoming performances. This last Sunday, we sang "A Marvelous Work." The choir was sensational! I was very proud of them.
After church, Bishop told me that the time had come, and that I would be released as Choir Director. Of course I broke down into tears, and just said, "Thank you," feeling a huge burden lifted from my shoulders. As I walked home from church, I cried the whole way and thought about the last 2 1/2 years serving in this calling. I remember when I was first called, working with individuals who had sung in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and other prestigious groups. I was only 23 years old at the time. How could I be their leader and teach them anything? It was the most intimidating experience of my life, but since then, I've grown and learned that I do have much to offer. As I've learned more about music and people, I've been humbled and become a better person.
What's been equally difficult for me is losing the wonderful opportunity I've had babysitting Salote Lauti 2-3 days a week. Her mom, Darcy, is pregnant with twins and is on bed rest in the hospital at 30 weeks along. So Darci's ward members have volunteered to babysit Salote for free to help her out. I knew this was coming, but I didn't know I would hurt so bad losing her. My income from babysitting has paid for groceries, car repairs, and other expenses. But it's not the money I care about as much as what an angel she has been in my life and in our home, and it breaks my heart to let her go. She's like another daughter to me, and Emily adores her more than anything. So after a year and a half of caring for her, potty-training her, getting her to finally drink milk, and teaching her, I will no longer babysit her.
It's been a struggle dealing with these changes and I just needed to get my thoughts out. Thanks for letting me open up.
12 comments:
It's always bittersweet when things in your life change... but I am sure you will bounce right back! You are such an amazing person for even taking on those two callings for so long!!
The only constant thing in our lives is change...and it really stinks! Yet it is what brings about our growth. You'll so enjoy Sundays with that extra hour or so with no practice and no prep work. You are going to love it. And it's ok to miss something that made you grow and learn.
I am sorry to hear about Darcy. I do hope she is ok. She needs to hang on to those babies for another month or so!! Now you can call and have Salote join you at the park once a week and devote all your time to Emily and Jon. I'm sure it feels like you are losing one of your own babies.
Something good must be right around the corner that will fill these new voids in your life!
I came to a realization today that I hate change. Mostly the girls at work were teasing me about hating the new computer system for no reason at all, except that it's different than what we had. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was true.
I was finally released from nursery last week, and even though I felt a huge burden lifted from my shoulders, I was still really sad. It's hard to let good, but hard, things go. I almost don't know what to do with myself now that I don't have to get a lesson and an art project planned every week.
Except that the first person to talk to me in Sunday School said she was so excited to see me with grownups. . . and would I be willing to teach Relief Society next week? So, in the span of two weeks, I've gone from goldfish and crayons to Elder Holland and God's word since Biblical times. So, former Relief Society president, any words of advice? I've only taught grownups in Temple Prep, but they were like nineteen years old and probably didn't count as grownups.
I'm happy for you. I know how stressed out you were with both callings. So I'm a little worried for the new choir director. Won't it be kind of stressful for them to try to hurry and plan a Christmas program?
Ok, I have something to cheer you up...in like 3 or 4 years I'll have a baby and you can babysit him or her. Yeah!! Isn't that fun? "Totay" was a cutie!
Wow! That is alot of change all at once. I am sure you will QUICKLY adjust to having some extra time on Sundays, and as for the baby you feel like you have lost. You can still have playdates and the kids will play just like they havent missed a day. I know it is hard but we really do have these trials and hardships in our lives for a reason. If only we could see that reason :) your in our prayers... love ya
Oh Catherine! Change is always hard... I'm sorry it all happened at once. I had no idea you were the choir director with...members of the Mormon Tab wow! What an experience. Just know that the Lord knows what is best for you and your family; your children will love seeing you more (choir is time consuming) and enjoy your short break because I'm pretty sure that it won't be for long! Oh, and I've sent you a couple of emails, and the invite. If you're didn't get them let me know. They're probably going to induce me tomorrow night so I want you to have front row seats to the pics :)
You really are superwoman! I didn't know how much you were doing! I'm impressed! But I agree with the other comments... change, good or bad, is always hard. I started training the girl who will probably replace me in February yesterday. Even though I am SO excited to have my baby and to be able to stay at home with her, it is still hard to let go of everything else we work so hard for. If nothing ever changed we would never learn anything new and never be able to grow and reach the potential we have. Good luck and enjoy a little extra free time during the holidays!
You really are superwoman! I didn't know how much you were doing! I'm impressed! But I agree with the other comments... change, good or bad, is always hard. I started training the girl who will probably replace me in February yesterday. Even though I am SO excited to have my baby and to be able to stay at home with her, it is still hard to let go of everything else we work so hard for. If nothing ever changed we would never learn anything new and never be able to grow and reach the potential we have. Good luck and enjoy a little extra free time during the holidays!
Change is bitter-sweet. Change brought us up here to SLC close to you so it can't be that bad eh? Love ya!
Hey SUNSHINE!
Thanks for the post! Oh, ya, I have so many cute purses at my fingertips, just not enough time to post them all. Are you getting compliments on yours? So from your playlist, You like Country, I used to listen, but haven't in a long time, so my grandma likes a country song by a female artist and some of the lyrics go something like " how can you love someone when they don't love you back" Do you KNOW who sings this? Please let me know if you know who it is, thanks! Love, Brandi
Catherine, you amaze me. I am our primary chorister as well and it is quite a load. To think you have been doing that plus the choir is so awesome. I could never. and for so long too. I have only been doing it for 6 months and every week before I go I think Its time for a new calling. Then I go and the kids totally make my week. You are such a great example. and I really wish you lived here you would definitely be a Talent Sprout!
I don't have a time share...! Kelly was joking because the everyone in our ward blogs...and well they blog about what they did with their friends in our ward! And it seems they all get together than blog about it. Of coarse we are never invited and that is fine but it hurts your feelings when you see all of these people in your ward hanging out and you weren't there. All I can say is I really am not a fan of our ward! It is too clicky for me! So anytime you want to join us at our timeshare let me know :)!
Post a Comment