Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Special Trip

My Grandma Lang has been struggling with her health lately, so I made a quick trip to St. George last week to help keep an eye on her, clean her house, and to spend some one-on-one time with my mom and dad, as well.
While in the midst of packing for the trip, I found Jon had climbed up on the bed and was just chilin' in the suitcase like this. He knew he was doing something he wasn't supposed to. Isn't the expression on his face priceless? I have so many wonderful memories of playing my parent's piano when I was younger, while singing my favorite songs. So it's a joy to see my kids tapping away at the keys, Emily singing at the top of her lungs, and Jon trying to copy her singing. I think music just might be in their blood. :)
As Emily and Jonathan were playing in the backyard, the neighbor's cat walked by, and my kids couldn't have been more excited. It was darling to see Jonny's reaction especially because he would "meow" at the cat in this really high-pitched, squeaky voice. It was hilarious!
Wade's grandparents have always been so warm and friendly when I visit, and they just adore the children. Here's Grandma Maughan snuggling up with Emily. I was also able to see Kelly Neiderhauser and her new baby girl, Mae, (such a cutie) as well as Bonnie Campbell and Emily Sharp, some dear friends I haven't seen for a really long time. It was SO nice to be with each of them and catch up on life.
I also stopped by Snow Canyon High School to visit my big bro in his biology classroom. This is Nick's first year teaching, and he's been loving it. He's created a really fun environment for his students, especially with the bobcat above the bookshelves. Cool, huh?
Jonathan thought that Preston, Nick and Summer's 6-month old boy, was his own little baby doll. He was constantly hugging and kissing him, rocking him in the swing, or talking to him.

This was a really special trip for me because I spent a lot of quality time with my parents and grandparents. My dad even took me out on a daddy-daughter lunch date, which was fun. Thanks dad!

Grandma Lang was in the emergency room the week prior to my visit with trigeminal neuralgia and since then, she's been dizzy and loopy and worrying us all. It was a sweet experience to help take care of her.

My mom and I would go on morning walks, go out for lunch, go shopping, cook together, and just sit and talk. She's my very best friend, besides Wade, and I just think the world of her. As I type these words, I'm overcome with emotion because of the deep love I feel for her. She's always been such a support to me no matter what I was doing in life. Where would I be without a mother's love?

14 comments:

Kristen said...

That's nice you were able to make a trip down and see your Grandma and family. I love the pic of Nick! Cool classroom

Stacie Lang said...

I didn't know grandma had a stroke! I guess I will be calling mom to see how she is doing! It looks like you had a wonderful trip and got to visit with alot of family. I know what you mean about moms being our best friends. I was lucky enough to marry into a family where I got another best friend for a mom. You are a lucky girl.

Kathy said...

What a great trip. You are so lucky to live close enough to jump in the car and be there. I'm sure it was a blessing for your parents to have you there too.

Lois said...

Hey, Mom here enjoyed Catherine's trip, too! Did she mention she brought down a Spaghetti Pie and popped it in the oven the afternoon she arrived just in time for dinner? Yum!

Shawn said...

Next time you're planning on going to St. George, let me know and maybe we can meet up there or something! We can go to a park and let our kids play! How fun would that be?!

Anonymous said...

I knew you were coming into town, but didn't get a chance to see ya...Let me know when you come down next, It would be really good to see ya :)

Julie said...

I love the picture of Jon in the suitcase. It is nice you were able to spend some time with your grandma. I am sure those are memories you will treasure.

Anonymous said...

I bet Nick's classroom looks 10 times better than how it was before. I remember being in that classroom in high school. It was cold and boring. His classroom looks so inviting! It looks like you had fun!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Preston looks like Jace's baby pics!

Megan said...

That pic of Jon in the suitcase is really cute!

Moms are great, aren't they? I'm close to my mom too, and I hope that Whitney and I have the same kind of bond as she grows older.

The Lively's said...

Cute Grandma Maughan ...I sure miss her we have great Grandparents even if Grandpa can be a little sassy sometimes!

Anne and Wayne said...

Enjoy that picture of your son "wanting" to play the piano. Darn it--somehow they don't think it's much fun not too long after they start lessons!

---- said...

Looks like a fun trip! I am sorry that we didn't get a chance to meet up!! :(
They did Kaden's grandma's viewing on Thursday night and then the 2nd viewing in the morning, followed by the funeral and burial and then back to the church for the luncheon! It was such and emotionally draining 2 days, that after the lunch we went straight home! (Kaden actually went back to work that night from about 3-10:30pm)
One of these trips though....we are GOING to meet up!! Just let me know when you are coming, and if we ever make it up that way I will let you know as well! :)

AshnRuss said...

Happy Birthday Wade! Hope you had a great day! You guys look great! Your kids are so sweet! Don't they just do the cutest things!