Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Music in Me: Music Week

Miss Kristal helping Emily decorate the paper to wrap around her home-made instrument
Each week, I like to give the children a healthy snack that goes along with the theme. I just couldn't figure out one that would work well for Music Week...until I remembered one of my favorite songs when I was in preschool. It's called "I like to Eat Apples and Bananas." Do you remember that one? It goes like this, "I like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas. (repeat) I like to ate, ate, ate, aaples and banaanaas. (repeat), continuing on with the other vowel sounds. They thought the song was SO FUNNY! And of course they enjoyed eating their apples and bananas after we sang the song together. Here's Regan, Jonny, and Brock
Corban, Emily, Nicole, and Cannon tapping their sticks to the beat to help them learn the rhythm in music
One of their favorite songs is "We are Dinosaurs" where we march around the room, and then stop to eat our food just like the dinosaurs.
We were having so much fun playing with the parachute that my little neighbor girl begged me if she could join us, so it REALLY looks like I have a big class. What cute kids!
The second day of class, I let the children take turns playing my keyboard to help them learn the sounds of different instruments. I can change the setting so the keyboard sounds like a saxophone, trumpet, harp, drum set, etc. They loved it! Here's Emily taking her turn.
Last, but not least, here's a snap shot of some of our home-made intruments. We call it a "drum-shaker" because it's a drum with rice in it, so it makes fun shaker noises, too. I'm still worried that it might be driving the parents crazy, but I know the kids loved it!

2 comments:

Lois said...

What a perfect song! It is a fun one...maybe, I'll go eat some apples and bananas, too.

Unknown said...

I loved that song when I was little! You are such an amazing teacher! I hope that when Emma is old enough I can find someone who loves teaching and kids as much as you. I wouldn't even mind if you sent home noisy instruments. :)