Last month, we found a true treasure that we're all crazy about. It's this little local restaurant called Shivers, 10 minutes away from our house. There's a huge train in the middle of the restaurant that the kids can play on while I enjoy my $2 fruit smoothie. It's awesome. And because we're pretty heathly eaters and rarely have fried food, we'll go and just get a fruit smoothie to share or a 30 cent kiddy cone.
I am especially excited to have found Shivers because my kids don't throw tantrums when we leave like they do at McDonalds. I usually DESPISE McDonald's, but we've gone there several times with friends this winter after storytime at the library so I could have some mommy time while the kiddos played. I always bought a snack wrap for me and one for Emily and Jon to share and spent just $3. With Wade and I both starting new careers this year, we chose to limit our spending as much as we could. During lunch, Jon and Em seemed okay with not getting the happy meal because they love the grilled chicken snack wraps. But each time as we would leave, they would recognize that they never got a happy meal toy like their friends did. And then the tantrums would start. And they were ugly tantrums. I know you've dealt with it, too, so you know what I'm talking about. They're not fun.
So I have this love/hate relationship with McD's because it's nice to have a free, warm place for the kids to play in the winter while I enjoy some mommy time with friends. But I have never liked the food there, the fact that even with the healthier options, I'm still TEMPTED to get a root beer and fries, and then there's the germs on the playplace I don't want to think about, how busy it always is, etc, etc. But now, I can ban McD's from our vocabulary and choose Shivers instead when we want to get out of the house and have a little ice-cream.
Have YOU had some interesting experiences at restaurants? Please share. I would love to hear about it!
4 comments:
Well, I finally got caught up on reading your blog... We went to Discovery gateway on the st. patricks free day, and it was fun, but we thought that the Treehouse was much better for our kids... Too bad we don't live in Ogden anymore, maybe someday... Shivers looks like a pretty cool place, we should go there sometime, oh, I know, how about Wednesday??? :)
I've never taken my kids to McD's playplace - I'm so disgusted by the germs! Casey has taken them to Del Taco playplace - but it's always been without me - otherwise I would probably say no! But if I lived somewhere cold I would probably have to give in on that.
But I recently gave in to letting them ride in the car carts at Harmons. It's kindof inevitable with two crazy girls now :)
(I'm not a total germ freak, but when you can SMELL the nastiness in a play place, that's just too much :)
Hey I need to meet your friend Kelly! Because she thinks just like me! I hate GERMS!
Anyhoo what a fun place. Kyle loves trains. Sorry I have no tantrum stories what can I say my kids are angels! ;; )
Oh my egg kit I bought it last year on sale after Easter when it was on clearence and saved it for this year. You know me I'm cheap!
I need to come visit... If it ever stops SNOWING!
Catherine, you don't love McDonald's?! :) Honestly, neither do I...but free indoor play options are so limited in the winter :( Thankfully it's spring and we can go to the park again!
The couple of times that I took my boys to Shivers that train was dirtier than a McDonalds playground. We haven't been back for atleast a year... maybe they've cleaned it up?
Post a Comment