Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dear Jon,

I just don't understand! Since I clipped this
I have been feeling like this
trying to find sanity and peace once again!
You'll never know how difficult it was for me to clip your binky and admit that you're not my baby boy anymore. I kept procrastinating because of the sweet way you asked for it and how you cuddled me more when you had it. What's a mama to do? I just wanted to keep you small forever. What's wrong with that?
But I knew you needed to let it go.
It's been two weeks, and you're still not back to your old self, and I miss you, Jon.
You wake up crying in the middle of the night,
crying for "Mama."
I finally go pick you up, rock you, and put you back down in your crib or else bring you to bed with daddy and me when I'm just too tired to handle the tears, mine and yours. I hold you and you fall asleep on my chest, just like you did as a newborn. It's tender.
Jon, you used to be my champion naper and would nap everyday from 12-3. Lucky mama? Yes, I was I admit. But now, I put you in your room for quiet time and after an hour, I find this.
You just look up at me and say, "Uh, oh, Jonny made a mess!"
Because you haven't been napping, you've been more onery the rest of the day. Remember last week's drama at the grocery store?
Oh. My. Goodness.
I didn't chose the grocery cart that you wanted, so you threw the tantrum of the century for over a 1/2 hour, but I refused to pick you up. I just let you cry and follow me around, telling you every 5 minutes, "I'll be happy to pick you up when you can calm down and be happy." Oh wow, if I had a nickle for every judgemental look I got!!! How dare I not pick up my child when he's upset? At least I got a thumbs up from the guy behind the meat counter. He said, "Way to go. Trainin' him right." I just laughed at his comment. Really, I wanted to cry. Of course I wanted to pick you up. But then I'd teaching you that if you want something, throw a fit, and mama will give in. Well, not this mama, buddy!
You finally calmed down, WITHOUT a bribe. Miracle, I know.
Jon, you make me laugh
And you make me cry...and Emily, too. Check out those bites. Half a dozen a week, and I can't get you to stop. I've tried washing your mouth out with soap, but you just keep biting your sister. It's like the little dog-big dog mentality. I guess it's your way of defending yourself. But I'm tired of it. The hair pulling and pinching needs to stop, too. I'm just beside myself!
You really are a good boy,
definitely ALL boy in fact, unless
your sensitive side comes out. ;)
Jonny boy, I need your help. I need more sleep to happen and less crying, more big-boy talking and less whining, more loving and less fighting.
And I promise I'll try to be more patient and stop locking myself in the bathroom for "mommy time-out."
I love you dear Jon.
Love,
Mama

16 comments:

Alix Bryant said...

too cute! hope he grows out of this phase soon, for your sake (and Emily's!)

Unknown said...

Lol! When Emma and I are up in the night or she has a blowout or throws up all over me right after I have just gotten dressed up for church, I just say to her, "You're lucky you're so cute!" That is what I was thinking about Jon the whole time I was reading that post.

---- said...

WOW! I have been bad a keeping up on other peoples blogs! A TON has happened since I last checked!

I LOVE how you are SO honest on here...It really kind of cheers me up... in a sick way. (Misery loves company right???) But it is really refreshing to know that I am not the only one who wants to pull her hair out or go get some quality "me" time. Its hard to be a Mom sometimes...I think there is all this pressure to show EVERYONE ELSE that life is just a field of rainbows and butterflies!

So thanks for keeping it real girlfriend!! Keep your head up...remember...this too shall pass....

Kristal said...

How true it is. Love the pics. You do have an all boy there.

Kathy said...

Oh dear. I remember those post-binky days well. He'll figure it out; Elyse started napping again after a few weeks of losing the binky. It's a rough go for a while though. He's old enough, you did the right thing.

Kristen said...

I have been thinking about taking away Jonas' binky when he turns 18 months (2 weeks away), and this post made me think maybe I could wait a little longer... haha! I have a love-hate relationship with those stupid wonderful binkies!

Aapree said...

Oh boy! It sounds like you've had your work cut out! You are such a great mom, I know you will get through it! Then you can help me when my time comes! :)

Cynthia said...

Wow, looks like you've been quite busy! And so have I because I haven't even been able to check on your blog in a while. I'm so sorry Jon is driving you crazy. I get that look on my face quite often during the day... And I still need to call you back... I will, I promise!

Recovery Guru said...

Oh man I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time with your Jon. I hope that things get better with him! I am having a hard time with naps too! Finally today I took all the toys out of Sydney's room, I really hope it works? Keep doing the things you are doing(way to go for not giving in at the grocery store!) you are a great mommy and Jon is lucky to have you!

Recovery Guru said...

it worked she is asleep! (happy dance!)

Darci said...

Braxton was in his Terrible 2's until he turned 4... so hang in there, it will get better- eventually :D Cute pictures!

Trav and Britt said...

way to hang in there! if you ask me, you win mom of the year for NOT picking him up in the grocery store! and i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one who needs "mommy time outs" :)

Kelly said...

We've taken away Eva's binky a couple of times but I finally decided to choose peace in my home and let her still have it for sleeping. I have faith that she'll give it up when she's ready, but I of course doubt myself and wonder if I'm just delaying the inevitable. For now, the naps are great and I just can't give that up!

cerrah said...

It was a rough few months after we took Frankie's away, too. I honestly regretted it. I thought, "what was it hurting?"

But things slowly settled back down, except that now he wakes up much earlier in the morning. Oi.

Very cute post, and good luck! Don't give up on the naps, if he was sleeping for 3 hours it seems to me he probably still needs them. (:

Catherine said...

I feel your pain! Sounds like everyday normal stuff to me... LOL. I blame it on the Lang side :) It's in those genes....

The Lively's said...

That was too funny! Boys are soooooooooooooooooooooooo crazy! Thanks for the good laugh!