Saturday, June 6, 2009

When it rains, it pours!

I was talking to my mom this week about all the different trials our extended family has been experiencing lately, and she said, "You know Cath, it seems like when it rains, it pours!" It's true. Besides a few bumps in the road, things have been going smoothly for our little family, and then BAM, life happens. Someone crashed into Wade's car, and totaled it. We're just grateful he was safe. But in order for the insurance company to give us any money, he had to give up the car and begin the LONG, grueling search for a new car...that we could actually afford.That same morning, he found out he did NOT get chosen for a career as a Seminary Teacher. They only chose 10 out of 50 to student teach for a year, and from that 10, they'll choose about 4 to teach full time (usually more, but not with the economy how it is). Wade was a little relieved to at least know NOW, rather than a year from now, but I was crushed because I knew how much he wanted it, and what a good seminary teacher he would have been.
~
Then my sister-in-law's dad died suddenly, and I was overcome with grief for her and my brother. And everytime I thought about it, I ached inside, wishing I had a better relationship with my own dad.
~
Then I was yelled at for 15 minutes by the person who rents our basement apartment.
~
Then we received their 30-day notice, and I was stressed out night and day, trying to find new renters, but secretly relieved the mean ones are moving.
~
Then our camera broke, and everytime my kids did something cute and funny, I was so disappointed that I couldn't capture it on camera.
~
Then we found out we had to custom order the gate for our backyard, since a normal gate size won't fit our driveway. So it will take weeks longer and cost hundreds more.
~
Then I started my Summer Camp, which is so fun but also so stressful when I DON'T have the time and energy to plan and prepare adequately with these other things going on.
~
And Wade continues the job hunt.
~
And with all the stress we've been feeling plus the lack of sleep, of course there's more tension in our marriage.
~
And I KNOW the kids have felt the tension, because they've been more ornery and defiant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then there was a turn-around. After my Institute class on Thursday, I decided to choose to be positive because I knew, "This too shall pass." It hit me. And it hit me hard. Heavenly Father gives us trials to strengthen our faith and character. I really have SO MUCH to be grateful for. I've spent a summer in a 3rd world country. Remembering the poverty in Ecuador, alone, is enough to humble me to tears.
That night, Wade and I prayed as a couple as we usually do, but this time, with more sincere gratitude, even for the hard times. After we prayed, he went to the computer to continue searching for a car that would replace the one that got totaled. He found the perfect vehicle and we both knew it! It was a red '92 Toyota Previa, which I would drive, and then he could drive my '97 Honda Accord.
So Friday morning, we bought it for only $2700, and with only 117,000 miles on it, we have hopes it will run for a long time. And guess whose camera we took this picture with? Ours! It finally started working again. Crazy, huh? Then this morning, after showing the apartment to a ga zillion people, we found someone we have such a good feeling about to rent from us. I can't begin to express how thankful I am that everything is working out, but even more importantly, that we decided to be happy, even when it wasn't.

17 comments:

Katie Leigh said...

Holy crap! You have a mini-van!

Aw, now I feel bad. I've been meaning to call you for two weeks, and I never did. Don't ignore those impressions! I'm glad things are going better. It's always amazing how an attitude adjustment can make a world of difference.

*Aliese* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*Aliese* said...

Your Summer Camp sounds like fun! Way to go. And I was totally telling Darrin the other day how things seem to be going far too well for us recently...I think I'm subconsciously waiting for it to "pour" soon! Yay for your van though; hopefully it turns out to be a solid purchase.

matt and brynnzie said...

I am glad things are turning around for you and Wade. I love the van color it looks good. It will be great for when you and Wade decide to expand your family in another year or so. Good Luck!! Keep looking up!

Traciannee said...

Sorry to hear about all the little trials, but looks like the sun is now shinning brighter and you can drive over any bumps in the road with your fun Van!
(Secretly, I wish our truck would get totaled so we can get a new car.)
Have a fun summer!

Heather said...

Nice van! It sounds like your summer camp is so much fun. I wish we were closer so I could put Sophie in it. She would love it!

The Mursets said...

I can totally relate. I am glad that things are starting to turn around for you.

We might need to move up there just so Nathan can go to your awesome classes~you are so much fun, and I am sure those kiddos love you!

Shawn said...

I know the saying all too well, "when it rains it pours." But there is always a reason. You learn so much from the trials that are placed before you, that it prepares you for what's next to come. I'm so glad things are looking up for you. Hopefully Wade will find a new job soon!

The Lively's said...

Well I am glad to see things worked out for the most part!!! I bet it will be so much nicer having the room a Van will provide. And it is funny you decided to be happy because on Sunday we learned that Happiness is a Choice and no matter what happens you can choose to be happy and well you must have snuck into our RS lesson.

Good Luck with things I am sorry about Wade's Seminary thing I thought for sure he would get it! And believe me I can totally emphasize with you on car problems I could write a book about it!!! :)

cerrah said...

I'm glad that at least a bit of the storm has turned around. This is such a great post that really shows the way life is.

I love how happy you are in the mini van. That's a great picture for posterity.

Kristal said...

I guess we need a little bitter to enjoy the sweet more. I just have to keep reminding myself that things always work out when you are doing the right things. The Lord won't let you fail. Keep your chin up kiddo...love ya.

Emily said...

Yikes! Talk about one thing after another! I admire that you chose to have a positive attitude, despite the challenges. I want to try your recipes from your last post too. Yum!

Recovery Guru said...

sorry things have been so rough lately! I am glad that things are starting to get better for you! Keep smiling!

Kelly said...

I've been thinking of you a lot lately. Sorry it's taken me so long to leave you a flippin' comment! Love the Van, I'm sure it will provide much needed space. Sorry things have been tough for you guys. It's true when it rains it pours...but the good news is that it usually gets better...not usually in our time frame though. I'm glad your camera is working again. Sorry Wade didn't get the seminary thing. I know he would have been a great teacher. Can he still try another year? I know things get crazy sometimes, I usually sit back and eat chocolate (but that's not very healthy...so maybe sit back and eat those tasty banana muffins you made for Summer Camp).

Cynthia said...

That's awesome! And the van is even in the color that you've always wanted! :)

Brandi said...

Sweet new ride sista! I am HAPPY to hear that the renters are out, less stress on you as far as what you may have witnessed, ya know. Put your energy into that summer camp, you are super fun and creative. Miss ya! Thanks for spending time with us when you came down!

Darcy said...

Catherine --I loved this post, it totally hit me as things are not good at our house either. It is good to see your positive perspective.