Monday, November 17, 2008

Rebel Pride

Saturday night, Wade and I attended the Dixie State College Alumni Fall Event for the alumni that live in Northern Utah. It was held at the Little America Hotel here in Salt Lake. It was a lot of fun to dress up and have a nice dinner in this classy hotel and get to know other people who have the same rebel pride as we do.

When I was in high school, I was sure I wasn't going to attend Dixie because I was such an independent child (just ask my mom!) and wanted to leave St. George for a few years. After placing in the Region Sterling Scholar Competition, I was blessed to be offered scholarships from around the state, including BYU, which was my top choice. But after praying about it for a long time, I felt strongly that I was supposed to stay at home and attend Dixie. And I have never regretted that decision for a second! I grew really close to my parents and my little sister in that time (what better roommate could I ask for?), I saved thousands on room and board, I had incredible professors and institute teachers that knew me by name, made some wonderful friends (including many of you), developed my singing with the Institute Show Choir, Inspiration, discovered a love for children with special needs, and just grew as a person in so many ways.

After a year and a half, I met Wade, and I was especially happy that I was at Dixie. I was also really fortunate that the college had just developed some four year programs, including one in Elementary Education. I knew I wanted to be a teacher, almost as much as I knew I wanted to marry Wade ;) so it worked out perfectly. I was able to receive my Bachelor's Degree and had some amazing experiences being a part of the El. Ed. program. Anyway, I just wanted to give a shout out to this great school. I'm proud to be an alumni of Dixie State College, and I'm grateful for the education I received there.

6 comments:

---- said...

WOW...I must be slacking. I have missed your last 4 posts!! Darling Pictures of Emily BTW....I cannot believe she is 3 already!! I can still vividly remember when you were prego with her and you and Kiki were pregnant at the same time!! Just a new mom and a couple of prego's watching American Idol! Ha Ha!!
I swear where does the time go??

Elizabeth said...

That's kind of like me going to Snow. I did not want to go at all, but that's what felt the best and so I did and have been glad ever since!

The Lively's said...

actually i am so flippin nervous about the game. i want to be there if they win but if they lose it will be so crappy! aghhh! it makes me sick just thinking about it. by the way if you don't see your comment on my blog i accidentally deleted it!

Rach said...

Those pics of Emily are so darling. Her hair is so pretty. Abbey is in a dance class with Aspen (your niece) and I think they could be sisters :)

Carlos said...

Haha! I was the same way...never going to go to Dixie! I'm glad I did though....for lots of reasons. Without freshman orientation I never would have met you! :)

Anonymous said...

Go Dixie! Sometimes I feel like people look down on me because I went to Dixie for my education. It used to bug me. I don't care anymore. Austin and I graduated with absolutely no college debt. We both had great scholarships and were able to save money. Plus, I think Dixie's elementary education program is one of the best in the state. I think it's because of their SEE Program. I had a lot more experience in the classroom that some of the other people I work with. It showed in our evaluations.