On Monday when I taught preschool again, our lesson was, "Food and Harvest: Grains, Dairy, and Meat." Elaine, who I team-teach with, taught the first part of the lesson the week before, about fruits and veggies. After I read them books, including The Little Red Hen and Green Eggs and Ham (two of my favorites), they helped me grind wheat into flour using my wheat grinder, and then I showed them the homemade bread I had made using the wheat. Then we made homemade butter, by whipping heavy cream with a electric mixer. They kids were so excited about these experiments! Even I was amazed by the home-made butter when Wade did a test run for me earlier. It was pretty cool. :)
Afterwards, we created a grain collage, using wheat, rice, and popcorn. And then I had everyone line up, and showed them a food item, and they had to race to it's matching group. When I pulled out the ice-cream, rather than running to the dairy group picture, they ran to me, and said, "I want some...please, please, please!" kind of like the birds on Finding Nemo (mine, mine, mine, mine) It made me laugh!
Finally, we had snack time, which was a slice of my home-made bread with the home-made butter on top, cheese, ham, apples, and a glass of milk. Next time I teach this lesson, I'll make home-made ice-cream rather than home-made butter, and the kids will really love me! I did send a mini loaf of bread home with each child, so maybe they'll come back anyway. ;)


11 comments:
Sounds like you are doing an amazing job with the kiddos. When do we need to ship Jyllian off to be at the next class?
And research has demonstrated kids (and adults) prefer homemade ice cream to snowy trees 135:1, so I'm confident your ice cream will be a big hit.
Look at you! Sounds like lots of fun...you're very very creative!
You are missing a great chance to embark on a career as a preschool teacher! If you started on, Karen could help you--she worked in a pre-school when she was first married. (Actually, I tend to think that neither of you would want to do it full time--right?!)
How fun! What a great idea, I want to come over and have Sydney be in your class that would be so fun. I also want some of your homemade bread and butter...yum!
Look at you, you're so good. Maybe we should move to Salt Lake just so Elora could be in your preschool class...
Very fun...
You whipped heavy cream? I would have thought half and half.
Hee, hee. . .
Wow homemade bread! I barely have time to brush my hair in the morning! You are so awesome
This is why you're so much better with younger kids than me. You always have been.
You would be my favorite teacher! Anyone who makes homemade bread for all the kids is awesome! It looks like y'all had lots of fun!
You are too cute- what lucky kids to have such a creative teacher :D
Post a Comment